Kati Kati, named after the Swahili term for “between”, is a blend of beans from the rift valley between Kenya and Ethiopia. This year’s Starbucks Kati Kati Blend design is a tribute to African sunshine, and its impact on the blend.
The sun played a leading role in the creation of the artwork. Using photo sensitive paper, coffee leaves, beans and flowers were arranged and exposed in the sun. The exposed images were then washed and hung to dry. This method was a way to echo the meticulous journey of the blend’s coffee beans (which are first handpicked, then carefully washed, and turned by hand to dry in the sun). The result is a sun print that intertwines lush Ethiopian roses and Kenyan oblique sorrels with our beloved Arabica coffee leaves and beans. The deep blue and dotted patterns are also a nod to African indigo printed textiles. Finally, the glittery, gold seal on the back was inspired by the dazzling appearances of both Kenyan gold and Ethiopian opals.
Logo + Illustration + Business Card + Web
Tiny Triumph Co. is a Portland-based consulting agency for illustrators and authors working in children’s literature. Its founder and strategist, Oanh Jordan, empowers creatives to create sustainable and successful careers.
Package Design + Illustration
The design for Starbucks Kopelani Blend was inspired by Hawaii’s iconic ocean waves and the dramatic cliffs found in the Big Island’s Ka‘u region. They were both illustrated with traditional Polynesian and Latin American patterns to honor the regions where the beans were sourced.
Featured on The Dieline.
Package Design + Illustration
1. Starbucks Sakura chill cup was a seasonal beverage in Japan in for the 2018 cherry blossom season. The illustrations, color palette and finishes were inspired by kanzashi, traditional Japanese hair pins.
2. Starbucks Holiday Packaged Foods for the 2018 holiday season.
Design + Illustration
Starbucks local gift card for Dallas, Texas. Its design was inspired the State Fair of Texas, which is hosted annually in Dallas’s Fair Park. This ferris wheel, called “The Texas Star”, is the largest one in the United States (and my personal favorite ride at the fair).
Logo + Business Card + Website
Bows & Arrows is a husband and wife team of floral designers and wedding / event planners in Dallas, TX. These former Brooklyn artists' lush arrangements bring a youthful, yet sophisticated, touch to events of all kinds.
Student work - under direction of Brian McAdams
Logo featured in 2013 DSCV National Student Show
1. Reductive Rabbit made in a 2-day illustration workshop with Ty Wilkins.
2. Mermaid themed beer - proposed illustrations for former client
3. Japanese Food Series - explorations of different illustration styles, based on foods that my cousins and I ate on our first trip to Japan, in Spring 2015. Just for fun. More illustration styles and foods to come!
4. Curvilinear woman - student work, under direction of Karen Dorff
6. Book Cover created for an historical fiction novel about Vlad the Impaler.
- student work, under direction of Jacob Ristau
1. Starbucks Candy Label for Easter / Springtime.
2. Holiday Soirée invitation created for a friend's liquor exchange holiday party.
3. Fun with a brush pen for a friend whose children’s middle names are Wild and Dangerous.
4. Sweet Annie's lettering designed for an ice cream parlor within the University of North Texas campus.
Bows & Arrows - floral designers / wedding planners. Featured in 2013 DSVC National Student Show.
Airstream Travel Trailers - iconic American RVs.
Burn Note - email service where private messages self-delete. Featured in 2013 DSVC National Student Show.
Topgolf Holiday Icons - created for TopGolf's 2013 Holiday campaign.
Additional icons in pattern by Carter Martin and Kourtney Despres.
3 Proposed Logos for elephant-related non-profit.